Former President Sees Surge in Popularity Despite Legal Troubles
Last Thanksgiving, Donald Trump’s political future seemed bleak. He was blamed for the Republican party’s poor performance in the midterm elections. Fast forward a year, and the tables have turned. Democrats and Never Trumpers are concerned while the MAGA supporters are celebrating. Polls show that the disgraced former president is leading over Governor Ron DeSantis and other Republican challengers, and he may even have a chance to beat President Biden. This is all despite the legal troubles Trump has faced, including multiple indictments and criminal charges. The arguments against Trump 2.0 may seem stale, but there is still hope for the anti-Trumpers.
Let Trump’s Inner Circle Speak
When it comes to countering the MAGA devotees at your Thanksgiving feast, my advice is to let others do the talking. And who better to speak against Trump than those who were part of his inner circle? No other president in U.S. history has been so heavily criticized by those who were closest to him. Here are just a few examples:
Mike Pence, former Vice President:
On January 6, 2021, Pence revealed, “President Trump also demanded I choose between him and our Constitution. … Anyone who puts themselves over the Constitution should never be president of the United States.”
William Barr, former Attorney General:
Barr described Trump as a “very petty individual” who always puts his own interests ahead of the country’s. He firmly believed that Trump shouldn’t have been anywhere near the Oval Office.
John F. Kelly, former White House Chief of Staff:
As a retired Marine general, Kelly had strong words for Trump. He criticized Trump for his disrespect towards military personnel and his contempt for democratic institutions, the Constitution, and the rule of law. Kelly exclaimed, “God help us.”
James N. Mattis, former Defense Secretary:
Mattis stated that Trump was the first president in his lifetime who did not make an effort to unite the American people. He even raised concerns about Trump ordering the military to violate the constitutional rights of citizens.
Others Who Spoke Out Against Trump
The list of high-ranking officials who criticized Trump goes on:
– Mark Esper, former Defense Secretary, called Trump unfit for office and pointed out his integrity and character issues.
– Rex Tillerson, former Secretary of State, referred to Trump as a “moron” and recounted instances where he had to correct Trump’s illegal actions.
– Gary Cohn, former Director of the White House National Economic Council, emphasized that they were saving Trump from his own harmful decisions.
– H.R. McMaster, former National Security Advisor, called Trump a “dope.”
– John Bolton, another former National Security Advisor, claimed that foreign leaders saw Trump as a laughing fool.
– Richard Spencer, former Secretary of the Navy, criticized Trump for his lack of understanding of military ethics and rules.
– Thomas P. Bossert, former White House Homeland Security and Counter-Terrorism Advisor, held Trump accountable for the January 6th siege, calling him an utter disgrace.
– Alyssa Farah Griffin, former White House Communications Director, warned that a second term for Trump would be more dangerous than the first, stating that he is unfit to be president.
Breaking Through and Having Challenging Conversations
It’s no easy task to persuade Trump supporters at your Thanksgiving table. Trump’s divisive politics have caused rifts even within families. But as Alyssa Farah Griffin, who experienced her own family tension, suggests, we must keep trying to break through respectfully. We need to have these challenging conversations. So, if politics comes up during your Thanksgiving gathering, keep this cheat sheet handy. When faced with Uncle MAGA’s fervent support for Trump, respectfully present these condemnations from high-ranking officials who were part of Trump’s inner circle.